The holidays are the perfect time of year for families to spend time together in the kitchen. Christmas cookies, peppermint bark, maybe even fruitcake – all are treats that we love to make during this special time of year.
At Great Wolf Lodge, we have our own holiday season tradition - Snowland. Families can spend time with Santa, enjoy snow indoors each night and create new family traditions together. And just like being at home, yummy treats are a key part of the Snowland experience.
The center point of Snowland is not only beautiful – but also edible! For months, our culinary teams baked, created and decorated life-size gingerbread houses in the lobby of each Great Wolf Lodge.
Our guests can dine in these unique cottages. New this year, we partnered with the makers of PEEPS & COMPANY® and Just Born Quality Confections, the makers of PEEPS®, MIKE AND IKE® and HOT TAMALES®, to provide many of the edible treats that adorn the walls of each gingerbread house. The house at the Great Wolf Lodge in the Pocono Mountains has over 1000 PEEPS® on it! (I know because I was able to help put all them on!)
Great Wolf Howlin’ Hot Chocolate
- 2 QT Whole Milk
- 1 QT Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Whole Star Anise
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 LB Sweetened Dark or Semi-Sweet Chocolate (chips, coins or small chunks; use the best quality Sweetened Chocolate)
- Let the cinnamon and star anise soak in the milk cream mixture overnight. Add the sugar and place on the stove over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Strain the mixture and place back on the stove, add in the chocolate and whisk until fully blended. Makes 16 6 oz. servings.
- For an added treat – add a Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored PEEPS Chick
PEEPS Holiday Pops
- PEEPS® Peppermint Stars, and PEEPS® Trees
- Equal number of paper straws or sticks
- 12 oz. bag of chocolate candy melts
- Crushed candy canes
- Remove PEEPS® Trees and PEEPS® Peppermint Stars from their packaging.
- Slowly slide PEEPS® on to each of your sticks or straws, stopping just before the straw pushes through the other end of the PEEP.
- Lay out baking sheet and line with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate coating according to the package directions and apply to PEEPS® shapes
5. Coat shapes with sprinkles or crushed candy canes and let cool.